Sunday, September 18, 2011

Baking Day

Today is Sunday, it's also baking day. I had quite a late start to the day and didn't get as much done as what I was hoping to. I managed to crank out 2 loaves of sandwich bread, 8 pita breads, a batch of dinner rolls, and 4 pizza doughs. Pretty successful.

The key to any successful day of baking or cooking is a clean kitchen. So step one is to clean your kitchen.  Nothing stops one from having a successful day of baking quite like a dirty kitchen.

This is my kitchen. 
I also have an area above the stove where I keep all my baking goods. 
Try to keep the area well maintained, it's easier to know what you have and 
what you don't if everything is in plain site. 

The next step is to gather all of your supplies. I like to have everything ready so it can just be mixed together nice and quick without searching for supplies. 

Sandwich Bread:

Ingredients:
3 cups all purpose flour (I use King Arthur)
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 to 2/3 cup of hot water (I used 2/3)
4 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp sugar (organic if you can)
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 packet active dry yeast dissolved in 1 tbsp water OR 1 packet instant yeast


Directions:
Mix all ingredients in mixer with dough hook on low speed (2) for about 5 minutes until dough is smooth.

Lightly grease a separate bowl and place dough in the bowl turning to coat.
Leave the bowl covered with a moist towel for 1-2 hours depending on the warmth of your kitchen.


When your dough is ready it should look like this.



Next:
Lightly grease a clean working area and shape your dough into an 8 inch log. 

Then:
Lightly grease a bread pan and place your loaf inside. 
Cover with greased saran wrap so it won't stick and let rise again for 1 hour.

Your dough should rise about 1 inch above the rim before you bake it. 
The amount of time it takes it to rise will all depend on the warmth of your kitchen. 

When your bread is ready pre heat your oven to 350 degrees (F) and bake for 30 - 35 minutes until loaf is golden brown. I made two batches to last the 3 of us all week long. 


When your bread is done, let it sit for a few minutes to cool down, then turn onto a wire rack to cool. 
After the bread has cooled you can cut it into slices and have a yummy peanut butter and jelly
sandwich. This is in my daughter's lunch for tomorrow. 




This recipe is very simple to make, and extremely delicious. Eating healthy and organically does not cost a lot of money. Plus the satisfaction of creating something from nothing is wonderful! I love knowing what is going into my body, especially that of my daughter. I will post more recipe's in the coming days. Hope you enjoy this delicious bread recipe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm Jessica, a 21 year old SAHM mom of a 6 year old little girl. I have been married to a wonderful man for just over a year and loving every moment. I recently graduated from nursing school, and am enjoying this much needed time off to enjoy my family. In my family everything is being converted to organic and homemade. I love God and strive everyday to be a better mother and wife. This is my story.