Saturday, September 17, 2011

Organic Eggs

A few weeks ago my husband and I made a visit to our local farmers market. Luckily for us it happens to be just a few blocks away from our house. We try to eat locally as often as possible. We met a woman who has a free range chicken farm right in our home town. I'm not sure how many of you went to all organic and found out a lot of meat ended up being left out of the diet. As for us, my family decided to stop eating even the store "organic meat" because it wasn't how we wanted the animals to be treated. This woman has many mobile houses for her chickens with a huge open yard. Her animals are left to run freely all day and their homes are moved every few days so they do not wear out the grass. A whole chicken in our family can last 3 to 4 meals so the rise in price is well worth it.
On this night we didn't really make many purchases, only some cantaloupe and watermelon. I decided to make homemade perogies when we got home and realized we had no eggs. Luckily for us the farmers market was still open and I was able to buy some eggs. My favorite part of eating organically has to be the pure beauty of the food. My daughter was absolutely amazed at the sizes and shapes and colors of these eggs. So beautiful I had to take a picture of it.

These are the most beautiful eggs I have ever seen. About an hour and a half later we had ourselves some wonderful homemade, completely organic perogies that our daughter loved! She raves about them all the time. Tomorrow is Sunday and is our day for baking. After church we will be coming home to make bread for the week, all our pizza dough, ravioli's and perogies. I will be making a post tomorrow about all our baking and what I like to make for our family.

The finished product.


Anyone else have any lovely organic stories?

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm Jessica, a 21 year old SAHM mom of a 6 year old little girl. I have been married to a wonderful man for just over a year and loving every moment. I recently graduated from nursing school, and am enjoying this much needed time off to enjoy my family. In my family everything is being converted to organic and homemade. I love God and strive everyday to be a better mother and wife. This is my story.